• Special Education Services

    The Bellevue Public School System offers a variety of high quality services to students with disabilities from birth through the school year in which the student turns 21. Parents and families work with school staff to develop an Individual Education Program (IEP) or an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) that addresses the needs of the student. Special Education programs and services are available at each building in the district, however some programs are available only at selected sites.

    In a given school year, over 1,900 students receive some type of special education services from the district. There are nearly 200 special education teachers and related service providers as well as over 100 paraprofessionals who work with principals, general educators and other building staff to create individualized, inclusive school environments.

    If you have any questions regarding special education services, contact your child's teacher or building principal.

    Child Find

    "Child Find" refers to the process of locating, identifying, and evaluating children with disabilities to ensure that they receive services to which they are entitled. Children and youth, ages birth to 21 living within the Bellevue Public School District who are suspected of having a disability may be referred for a possible evaluation to determine if they are eligible for special education services.  

    To refer a child:

    • For Students Age Birth — 4 Years Old: Call the BPS Early Childhood office at 402-293-4941.
    • For School Age Students (K-12th grade): If you have a child already in a Bellevue Public School who may be in need of special education services, contact your school's building principal.
    • For New Students Coming Into the District: If your student is transferring into the Bellevue Public Schools and has received special education services from another district, report this information to the staff at the time of enrollment. 
    • For Students Who Live Within the BPS Attendance Boundaries but Attend a Private School: If a student attends a private school and/or resides in the Bellevue Public School District, they may be referred for a possible evaluation and, if eligible, may receive special education services at a public school site. If you suspect a private school student is in need of special education services work with your private school's principal to initiate the referral process or call 402-293-4000.

    Rule 51

    All Nebraska state agency regulations are compiled in the Nebraska Administrative Code (NAC). Each agency is assigned certain titles of the code for its rules and regulations. The regulations and standards for Special Education Programs are contained in Rule 51.

    Intervention and Referrals

    Providing effective educational services to students is the result of a process of identification, intervention, referral, evaluation, instructional planning, and placement.  Here are some key steps to the process:

    Student Assistance Team (SAT)

    Each Bellevue Public School building has a SAT process, which is managed by a collaborative team to support the success of all students. One of the main purposes of SAT is to identify, implement, and monitor interventions in general education classrooms to reduce student struggle and support students’ access to and success in general education curriculum and activities and their achievement of district standards. For many students who struggle, the best first step is a referral to the SAT Team and a consistent implementation of interventions. The only exception to this process is when a student has a visible and/or readily identifiable disability and is in need of specially designed instruction and services. The intent of this pre-referral process is to prevent the inappropriate referral of students to special education services and the implementation of effective strategies, including social and emotional supports, school-wide.  Here is a link that further explains the SAT process.


    Description of services your child may qualify for: