Students attended Offutt Air Base School during 1951-52 when Wherry Housing opened. The school consisted of temporary frame military buildings that were moved to Wherry to accommodate the 700 new children moving on base and needing to be educated.
Bellevue Public Schools opened two new schools in the fall of 1952—Belleaire and Betz Elementary Schools—to accommodate the tremendous growth at Offutt. The school district passed a bond issue to purchase land for the new schools and the federal government provided some funding to build the schools.
The citizens of Bellevue were asked to name the new schools. One of the final decisions favored Belle-Air. Belleaire became the official name.
The City of Bellevue annexed the land where the school was located. The official documents that were drawn up and sent to the Register of Deeds used the spelling "Bellaire." The City has continued to use that spelling for the housing developments that began in 1955 and Bellaire Boulevard.