Avery Elementary School has a long history. The school originally was part of School District #5, organized in 1869. The school was referred to as South School. In 1916 a beautiful brick school at Avery was built, part of which is still included in the present Avery School building.
Why South School was named Avery is not known. The name probably came from Professor Avery who was Superintendent of District #5 in 1869.
District #5 had a number of elementary schools in a large area. In 1953, 77% of the patrons petitioned to have District #5 divided. Avery, Chandler, Riverview, and Forest became separate districts. Avery became District #44.
In 1961 Avery citizens voted to have District #44 join the Bellevue Public Schools.