Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

News

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Home > breadcrumbs: Fairview Elementary > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

The History of Fairview

Inserted Image

 

THE HISTORY OF FAIRVIEW

Fairview Elementary School is located on Fairview Road, which crosses most of Sarpy County and goes through Fairview Township. There was a time when a town, a school, and a church were named Fairview. The Fairview Cemetery still exists.

One of the earliest settlers was a Reverend C. Chaucer Goss, a Methodist minister who came to Bellevue and wanted to create a community southeast of Old Bellevue close to the Platte River. He had land surveyed and platted and began to sell lots in his town called Fairview.

In 1857, Goss wrote a history of Bellevue, Larimer (now LaPlatte), and St. Mary (Peter Sarpy's town in Iowa from which he ran ferry boats to Bellevue). In 1859, this history was published. He added a section on Fairview, Nebraska, which he placed on a map in his small book. Acting on hope, he drew the railroad line through Fairview on its way to the Pacific Ocean. His prediction did not come true, and the trains went west of Omaha, and soon Fairview became one of the many ghost towns or "still birth" towns.

Goss' dream did not come true. But the name he selected remains, and Fairview Elementary school adds to the history of Fairview in the Bellevue/Offutt Community.

School Mascot: Fairview Firebirds
School Colors: Green & Silver

 

 

                                            

Back To Top