Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

News

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Home > breadcrumbs: Fort Crook Elementary > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

The History of Fort Crook Elementary - est. 1963

On July 21, 1888, President Grover Cleveland signed a bill to purchase land to build an Army installation just south of Bellevue. On May 3, 1891, President Harrison signed an appropriation bill for construction and directed that the new fort be named after Major General George C. Crook (1828-1890). General Crook became a national hero as an Indian fighter during two tours of duty in the Southwest where he helped defeat the Apache and Chiricahaus Indians. He is less known for his tour of duty at Fort Omaha where he helped bring peace with the Sioux through diplomacy and participated in the great Civil Rights Trial of Standing Bear.

Fort Crook Elementary School, our second school located on federal property to serve Capehart Housing, was named for the old Fort Crook School, which was closed when Peter Sarpy opened. There had been a Fort Crook School from as early as 1898, when the army located at Fort Crook provided classes for the children of military personnel.

After 63 years of service, the first Fort Crook School was sold. It housed some small businesses for a few years and then was torn down. A large "Public School" sign was preserved and is on display at the Sarpy County Historical Museum.

The Bellevue Public Schools kept the Fort Crook name alive. As Capehart Housing continued to develop, another school was needed. When it opened on federal land in 1963, it became Bellevue's second Fort Crook Elementary School.
 
School Mascot:
Fort Crook Falcons
School Colors: Royal Blue & White

Back To Top