Betz Elementary - established 1952
Students attended Offutt Air Base School during 1951-52 when Wherry Housing opened.
The school consisted of temporary frame military buildings that were moved to Wherry to
accommodate the 700 new children moving on base and needing to be educated.
Bellevue Public Schools opened two new schools in the fall of 1952 - Betz and Belleaire
Elementary Schools - to accommodate the tremendous growth at Offutt. The school district
passed a bond issue to purchase land for the new schools and the federal government provided
some funding to build South Ward and West Ward Schools, the Bellevue Board wanted different
names for the schools. In May, 1951, a newspaper ballot was printed for readers to send in their
votes. The vote for South Ward produced an easy result - Betz Elementary School.
Betz Elementary was named after Dr. William Betz. Dr. Betz, a physician, cared for the sick
in Bellevue for over 50 years. He served on the Bellevue Board of Education from 1913-1917,
three years as president. Dr. Betz worked with the federal government to build and open a health
clinic in Bellevue in what is now East Ward.
School Mascot: Betz Eagles
School Colors: Red & White