Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

News

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Home > breadcrumbs: LeMay Elementary > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 


Skip image

Story image 1_0
50d0c6f06c9f0 LeMay Elementary School
LeMay Elementary School

LeMay Story

 

 

On November 7, 1966, the Board of Education accepted the administrative recommendation
to name the new elementary school, the third to be located on federal property in the Capehart
Housing Area, LeMay Elementary School.

General Curtis E. LeMay had a distinguished career in both war and peace. His post World War
II career brought him to the Bellevue/Offutt Community as commander of the Strategic Air
Command, an organization he built into a powerful force that fulfilled the motto - "Peace Is Our
Profession." The school is named for Gen. Curtis E. LeMay, Known as the "Father of SAC."

LeMay recognized the importance of morale in the Air Force, and initiated several changes
to improve the quality of life of service personnel. Dormitories were built for airmen and he
worked with the community to raise funds to furnish the dormitories with needed amenities.
In 1953, sports car enthusiast LeMay started the first of a series of annual sports car races on
Offutt runways. During LeMay's tour at Offutt, many needed buildings and facilities were built,
including a new chapel, service clubs, a swimming pool, a base exchange, a new hospital, new
hangers, new runways, and many other buildings which are still in use today.

When LeMay left Offutt in July 1957, he became Vice Chief of Staff of the United States Air
Force. In July 1961, he was appointed Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force and later
became a nominee for Vice President of the United States.

School Mascot: LeMay Owls
School Colors: Purple & Gold

 

Back To Top